COVID-19 update September 2020
- We have a limited number of dogs available, as transportation via our standard method(flight parents) is rarely an option. Right now, we realize things are different in the world of dog rescue. In Canada, there are too many applicants and not enough dogs. We are receiving 30-40 applications per dog (vs normal times of 10-15).
- We ask that people please read the dog’s bio, and only apply if you are a match. We are receiving amazing applications, but not matched to the dogs profile. We do gravitate towards the best match for each dog.
- We have minimal flights booked – we update dates on the dogs bio, as we know them. If you are wondering “when” check the dogs bio.
- For any incoming dogs, our adoption fees have (temporarily) increased to help suppliment increased travel expenses.
- Most of our screening has always been virtual; application, phone screen, references, foster phone call.
- We have moved our home visit screening to be remote as well (via skype, facetime, etc).
- Foster parents are encouraged to do at least one meet and greet remotely as well.
- If approved for adoption, applicant and foster can discuss next steps (waiting, social/physical distancing, etc
- In person meet and greets are to happen in a backyard, with mask and physical distancing guidelines being adhered to.
- We have moved to online contracts, and we no longer accept cash as a form of payment
How our adoption process works
While it may seem cute to have the kids in the household fill out the application, we take our adoptions and screening quite seriously.
Please ensure the application is completed by the adults in the home.
1. DIBS typically gets several applications per dog. We do start with the earlier ones received (apply early!) and will review several. We need to ensure that the home and the dog are a good match for each other. We focus heavily on the requirements of the dog, and those meeting requirements are prioritized. We rarely deviate from the requirements listed in the dogs bio.
2. Once we decide on an application, the screening process will begin! We will do a vet reference check, a phone interview with the applicant, and contact 3 personal references. *We will not schedule any meet & greets until the applications is submitted, screening has started, and foster parent deems it a potential match. (Our fosters are volunteers and we only want to utilize their time with meet and greets, with final candidates)
3. Once step 2 is completed and approved, we will arrange for a home visit, where a volunteer will visit the applicants home to meet the entire family.
4. If step 3 is approved, you will be approved to adopt!
Our COVID-era adoption fees are $750/$870 (over/under 8 months of age). This Includes spay/neuter, vaccinations and travel expenses from Mexico. In the approval email, details is provided re payment, training, etc.
Please note – sometimes we get many applications for one dog. While we may like the application, the family may not be a fit for the specific dog – or someone equally great, just applied earlier. On your existing application email thread, reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your application directed towards an alternate dog: no need to fill out a new application. If you have moved/info changed or your original app is incomplete, please do fill out an application with updated information.
DIBS is 100% volunteer based – we are very efficient, but please note, that timelines of these steps can vary based on availability of volunteers. Please feel free to check in with us! Please be kind to our volunteers: they are working hard for a common goal.
We ask that the person who is financially responsible for the care of a dog, be the one to complete the applications (sorry kids!)
Please read a dogs bio on our site to see if you are a potential match!
Please answer questions with REAL LIFE in mind – not COVID life!
To keep your info secure, we have now included a new captcha step. Once submitting your application, please look for the confirmation page and the image of a dog with a thumbs up. You will also be cc’d on a copy to the email address provided (so if you didn’t receive it, neither did we)