How our adoption process works
1. DIBS typically gets several applications per dog. We do start with the earlier ones received (apply early!) and will review several. We need to ensure that the home and the dog are a good match for each other
2. Once we decide on an application, the screening process will begin! We will do a vet reference check, a phone interview with the applicant, and contact 3 personal references. We will not schedule any meet & greets until this stage is complete. While we know applicants want to see if the dog is a fit for them, we also want to ensure the applicants are a fit for that specific dog.
3. Once step 2 is completed and approved, we will arrange for a home visit, where a volunteer will visit the applicants home to meet the entire family. Foster families have the option of arranging meet & greet at this stage.
4. If step 3 is approved, you will be approved to adopt!
Our adoption fee is $450. Includes spay/neuter, vaccinations. Once approved to adopt, payment can be sent via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org (e-transfer and cash also accepted)
Please note – sometimes we get many applications for one dog. While we may like the application, the family may not be a fit for the specific dog – or someone equally great, just applied earlier. You can email email@example.com to have your application directed towards an alternate dog: no need to fill out a new application.
DIBS is 100% volunteer based – we are very efficient, but please note, that timelines of these steps can vary based on availability of volunteers. Please feel free to check in with us!
Please be kind to our volunteers: they are working hard for a common goal.
To keep your info secure, we have now included a new captcha step. Once submitting your application, please look for the confirmation page and the image of a dog with a thumbs up
– this is the final step, and if you see this, your application has been submitted!